Thursday, December 19, 2013

Hasta luego!

Well everybody, that's it.  I'm done.  I've officially complete my semester abroad in Granada, Spain.  I seriously cannot believe it's over!  I could have sworn I just got here.  These past three and a half months have been amazing!  I've made so many memories and have met so many wonderful people. 
This week I've been thinking about all the things I have done during my time here and all the things I've learned:
~ I rode a camel on the beach in Morocco, Africa!
~ I learned that, even though we may be oceans apart, I have a lot in common with people all over the world.
~ I was able to visit Dublin, Ireland!
~ I learned that I am awesome at reading maps! (Once again, thank you to my beautiful mother for teaching me this)
~ I visited London and was able to fall in love with the city all over again.
~ I was able to explore Granada and make it my home.
~ I randomly decided to go to Norway for a weekend, and it was one of the best trips!
~ I learned to ignore stereotypes. First hand experience is a much better way to learn about a culture and people.
~ I became friends with some amazing people in my program.
~ I learned that I literally have the best family, friends, and sorority sisters!! They were always there for me, supporting me and cheering me on from day one.
~ Personally, I feel like my Spanish speaking abilities have improved immensely!
~ I was able to attend an amazing school, the CLM, and meet some awesome professors.
~ And much more...
A few people have asked me how my study abroad experience has been.  Truthfully, I can't really explain it.  It's wonderful, frustrating, life changing, scary, and so many other emotions all rolled into one.  Studying abroad is different for everybody.  It's something that you have to go through to really understand.  I'm currently at this point where I'm ready to go home, but I also don't want to leave. 
Study abroad changes you.  For better or worse, you come away a different person.  Personally, study abroad has made me braver, wiser, and more accepting of the world.  I now know that I can't sit still.  I was meant to travel.  To see the world.  To discover new place and see new things.  To see the world from a different perspective.  After studying abroad, I don't really want to do the "touristy" things anymore.  I want to live the culture; be a part of it.  You really do need to walk a mile in somebody else's shoes to understand their life, their culture. 
I have one more adventure before I return to the states.  Tomorrow I leave for Austria and Germany.  I can't wait for one last European adventure before I get back to reality.  So goodbye, Granada.  Thank you for not only teaching me about myself, but about the world, as well.  Granada will always be home and will always hold a special place in my heart.  Hasta luego, Granada!
"Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Mary Ritter Beard 
Alhambra
 
Morocco
 
Dublin, Ireland
 
Madrid, Spain
 
Cordoba, Spain
 
London, England
 
Bergen, Norway

No comments:

Post a Comment